Sunday, June 14, 2009

i like it soft and supple...

Today I thought I'd share some of the frugal moisturizers that I love. None of these items are super expensive and by no means a secret, but sometimes we need a reminder that they are there, right?


1. Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Creme

I LOVE this stuff! I use it every morning and before bed. I love the way it locks in moisture, gives me a healthy glow and it retails for about $4. It does have the tendency to be a little greasy, and if left in a hot place the oils and creme in this product will separate. With that said, if you don't like that feeling or consistency, this is not a product for you, but QH also makes a lotion. I have not tried it, but my guess is that it will do the trick with no slickness left behind.
2. Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion


Non-comedogenic (won't clog pores), fragrance free and dermatologist recommended. How could one go wrong? This product is approved for all skin types and daily use. It is definitely lightweight and there's no strangling, perfumy scent either. I tend to use it at night so as not to combat with my SPF infused moisturizer for daytime. If you use separate products for sun protection and daily hydration, this would be a good choice because it won't leave your skin feeling caked with residue and retails for about $12. (...if you have a Sam's or Costco club card, buying a package of two 20 fl oz bottles for $15 saves, instead of the $12 16 fl oz bottle!)

3.Vaseline 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly



That's right folks, I said Vaseline. This stuff has so many uses it's not even funny. It's one of the ultimate moisturizers, and one tiny jar from the trial size aisle for $1 or less is enough to keep you set for a couple months or more... I like to use my mini jar for cosmetic purposes of course (lipbalm, highlighter, glossing my eyeshadow), but you can choose to use it as you please. You can't say this isn't frugally fabulous!

4. Johnson's Baby Oil
(obviously not pictured... hehehe.)

Lastly, plain and simple baby oil. It's not JUST for babies, you know! I listed Johnson's because it's well known, but that does not mean the generic brands don't work just as well; retail is anywhere from $2 - $4. They also come in an array of scents and/or in gel form. Gels are less messy, but a little more expensive. To cut down on waste, while in the travel/trial aisle, I also grab a few spray bottles in order to hydrate easily after my showers without getting oil all over sheets, clothes, towels and the floor. Plus, the sprayers are reusable! Just because the oil is affordable, doesn't mean you want even a few pennies worth being wasted if it's not necessary...


Just thought I'd share a few of my favorites. Maybe there's a few more I have yet to discover?

No comments: